Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 05, 2019, 03:19:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally got a vectrex.  (Read 10886 times)
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 09:23:41 AM »

No, it isn't really 3d, even though there are some games that you can play when using the 3d-imager. It's a large contraption to put on your head.

These are the only real 3d games for the vectrex.
Due to the fact that Vectrex games are vector-based games, instead of pixels, it is very easy to suggest 3d. For instance, on the default game installed on the vectrex, Minestorm, in the opening sequence a mine dropping spaceship flies away from you and seems to be dissapearing in the distance.

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »

That is very cool.  Are the games similar to that old Star Wars arcade game where you attack the death star and fight tie fighters in an X-wing?  I love that game.
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 06:38:41 AM »

That is very cool.  Are the games similar to that old Star Wars arcade game where you attack the death star and fight tie fighters in an X-wing?  I love that game.

Yeah... a bit simplefied of course and no colors. If I remember correctly the starwars game has blue & red colors. To get a color effect on the vectrex you had to put colored overlays in front of the vectrex monitor. They were delivered with the games.

More info on Veccy games here: http://vgdb.vectrex.com/index.pl

Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »

Yeah... a bit simplefied of course and no colors. If I remember correctly the starwars game has blue & red colors. To get a color effect on the vectrex you had to put colored overlays in front of the vectrex monitor. They were delivered with the games.

More info on Veccy games here: http://vgdb.vectrex.com/index.pl

That sounds like a real interesting console.  Like it sort of branched away from the conventional 2D consoles of the day and was somewhat ahead of it's time.

The Star Wars game had those colors and many more like yellow, purple. etc.  My uncle has it and I always enjoy playing it.  It broke though and needs to be fixed.

ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 05:28:47 PM »

Expect to pay several hundred Euros for a mint pair of 3D glasses + if you buy the main games for the vectrex Narrow Escape & Crazy Coaster make sure you have a colour wheel otherwise the game is useless. Finally there are developments to make new 3D glasses and there are 2 games being developed which use the 3D glasses.

I have 12"
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 08:22:05 PM »

Expect to pay several hundred Euros for a mint pair of 3D glasses + if you buy the main games for the vectrex Narrow Escape & Crazy Coaster make sure you have a colour wheel otherwise the game is useless. Finally there are developments to make new 3D glasses and there are 2 games being developed which use the 3D glasses.

It is an interesting console, but nothing I would ever want to buy.  (Sounds very expensive.)  So was this an underdog machine like the O2?
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2008, 09:38:15 PM »

It is an interesting console, but nothing I would ever want to buy.  (Sounds very expensive.)  So was this an underdog machine like the O2?

Underdog??? I'm not sure I would call it an underdog.  It was a breed of it's own.  I don't recall any company in the US making an all-in-one gaming machines that could play cartridge games on a buit-in screen.  The Vector graphics also made it unique.  I remember it was VERY expensive.  No one I knew owned one but I would see it in stores and drool.  I think it's biggest problem was cost. 
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »

Underdog??? I'm not sure I would call it an underdog.  It was a breed of it's own.  I don't recall any company in the US making an all-in-one gaming machines that could play cartridge games on a buit-in screen.  The Vector graphics also made it unique.  I remember it was VERY expensive.  No one I knew owned one but I would see it in stores and drool.  I think it's biggest problem was cost. 

It looks pretty sweet.  I suppose buying one and then getting a multicart would be best to $ave on the expense of the original games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOnmaazA6Pk

That video is of the same stoner who reviewed the O2 in a two part youtube thing.  This time he talks about a Star Trek Vectrex game.
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 10:11:55 AM »

The guy that helped design the Vectrex also designed the Amiga! Probably 2 of the best machines ever devised and what I love about them was how they radically changed the way people used and percieved computers.

I have 12"
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »

During my studying years I used the Amiga(1200) a lot. It was awesome for its time with all its graphical possibilities. I still miss that machine today. Always did what I wanted and it never crashed.

The Vectrex I love also, I think its the ultimate retro machine, nothing quite like it.

Btw I found my multicard again a couple of weeks ago after it being lost for 2 years.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:10:21 AM by Janzl » Logged

ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2008, 12:06:56 PM »

The 1200 was excellent I has a A500, A600 and a A1200! Loved the 1200 the most, I'm thinking on getting a CD32 and collecting the CD's but I have other system to collect for as well so budget is a bit tight!

I have 12"
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »

Yes i liked the amiga as well. Didn't own one but friends of my did own them. I spent a lot of time at there place.
I nearly had a cd32, unfortunally my old college gave it away to somebody to serve as a cd player Sad.
But i know i will own one someday.
I now have 2 amiga 500 the 3th i stripped for parts since it didn't boot any more. They keyboard went to my friend who had a german a500plus. Since that is a qwertz keyboard.
My main a500 is has 4.5mb fast mem and a action replay 2 card.

8 bits of fun
George712
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2012, 01:27:52 AM »

Now i have a boxed (!) vectrex with 19 games (half of them complete, some with overlay+ Manual, some only cart).
I payed 250 EU. I think an good investment.

As a gamer i am a little disappointed from this system. The boxes and Manuals have no Artwork. The picture is wobbling (its normal), handling the overlays (putting out of the box, on the screen, then getting it back to the box is true rocketscience without damaging the Box or the manual) is very frustrating. Constantly humming noise from the machine. The games are vectorgames. Except the 3-D style games, i cannot find a reason, why the good ols 2D-Games should be played as vector game (eg. Pinnball or Bezerk). My machine wobbles the lines, when many objects are to be drawn. From my gaming perspective, a very overrated machine.
I liked the Vectrex before i got it, but most of the games (gameplay, Boxes) do not atrract me.

But, a agree with most here, its worth to collect. Thats why i bought it. From technology perspective its a very fascinating machine. Integrated monitor and joystick.

Philips is exact the opposite. I did not like it, but now that i have one, i am getting more and more fascinatet with this system. The Philips is much more enjoyable in playing and handling. It has coulor, stable picture, great game-boxes with artwork an the uniform design. The artwork is what makes imagination and fantasy play during the games..Smiley.
The carts and boxes (the jewel-cases) are so well thought an designed. Philips is my favourite game system to collect for. It will last more than all the other consoles. The consoles are very robust and reliable.
The chess and basic Modules are the coolest things i have seen. (Reminds my of the Space Shuttle)
The only console with build in keybord..how cool is that?

My other systems:
Atari 2600 (i have a PAL "Heavy sixer") and most of the other cheaper consoles. I like the system.
Atari 7800 (some games)
Intellivision (a few games, Demon Attack and Shark Shark are my favorite). Horrible controllers but nice games.
Vectrex
Philips G7000, G74000 (my favorite console at this time)

Homecomputer:
Commodore Plus/4, 16 and 116 (i love the 264 series, my first computer, collecting everything for it)
Commodore C 64
TI 99/4A (very nice computer)

thanks for reading..Smiley

gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2012, 08:00:53 AM »

As a gamer i am a little disappointed from this system. The boxes and Manuals have no Artwork. The picture is wobbling (its normal),
The wobbling can also be caused by a bad powersupply, although when you use too many vectors on screen the CPU can not keep up with generating enough frames for the vectors and score overlay functions and you get 'the wobble'

handling the overlays (putting out of the box, on the screen, then getting it back to the box is true rocketscience without damaging the Box or the manual) is very frustrating.
Just leave the overlays in the box and adjust the brightness to a lower value :-)
Constantly humming noise from the machine.
This is a real pain to get rid of, some say it 'belongs' to the Vectrex but it really is bad design of cabling and circuit board placement of the audio amplifier. It is all a matter of 'ground loops' but there are ways to make it hum less. Some solutions even bring it down to hardly audible.

The games are vectorgames.
Of course they are vectorgames Smiley That is what the machine is built for, it has no rastergraphics or even a framebuffer. You point the electron beam to  a x/y point on screen and set it to a specific brightness, then you move the beam to another spot and switch the beam of and voila: a line is drawn. It has the great advantage that you never have to clear the screen for the next frame.. (and the disadvantage that you have to draw everything again  Tongue  )

Except the 3-D style games, i cannot find a reason, why the good ols 2D-Games should be played as vector game (eg. Pinnball or Bezerk). My machine wobbles the lines, when many objects are to be drawn.

Even the 3D games are vector games, it is the only thing the machine can do.. (although revivalstudios managed to display some images by clever programming)

From my gaming perspective, a very overrated machine.
I liked the Vectrex before i got it, but most of the games (gameplay, Boxes) do not atrract me.

I like the Vectrex for being awkward, it has a 6809 CPU (which is very nice) but almost no other computer used it, it has no color even when other game consoles then had color already. The vector graphics system is one-of-a-kind and was then solely used by real arcade machines. In my Vectrex I  'cleaned up' the powersupply and audio circuit, built a multicart and made my very first 6809 assembler program (the menu of the multicart), played a few games and that was it. 
Nice to have because of its rarity but nothing more.

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<
revivalstudios
Freedom Fighter

Twitter: @revival_studios / @bitstormgames

191265260975581 @revival_studios
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »

I think i have either the biggest or one of the biggest vectrex collection with all the tiny box/cart variations and all the european systems boxed (uk,nl,de,fr,it,es,au/vectrexII). Us, canadian and japanese collections and all homebrews (limited and regular) and anything else that is remotely vectrex related (at one time there was band with a vectrex on their LP-cover. that kind of stuff). Needless to say i am a fan (and/or slightly authistic for wanting complete collections for everything).

Anyways, some shameless plugging here:

Get some revival studios games for the system !  Wink

http://www.revival-studios.com/?page=31

www.revival-studios.com - Classic videogame development
www.bitstormgames.com - Indie games on PC, Mobile and Consoles
www.videopacgames.com - My own games and videogame collection for sale
Follow me on twitter (@revival_studios , @bitstormgames) for the latest information about my upcoming proje
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: