Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 12, 2019, 06:03:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Voices  (Read 1708 times)
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« on: September 12, 2007, 01:30:42 AM »

Some VCS games use voice (with none extra hardware) It?s called Open Sesame (wich I had when I was a kid) and Quadrun. How this voice was made? can the Ody use voices without voice module? Anyway to insert Sinistar voices in a Ody game?
Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 10:52:50 PM »

As I recall, from a conversation with Steve Woita, who wrote Quadrun, the method used for the VCS was a brute-force, lo-fi sample of a very brief phrase, which is why the only speech in Quadrun is "Quadrun! Quadrun! Quadrun!" - the same sample repeated three times, and it took so much of the processor power just to do that, that nothing could be displayed on the screen at the time.

I'm all for never saying never, but unless I'm grossly mistaken, you just cannot get the same kind of greasy control over the O2's sound output that you had with the 2600 to get it to even do what the Voice module does, let alone accurately play a recorded sample.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: