Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
January 23, 2020, 09:32:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Odyssey 2  (Read 7980 times)
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 12:46:47 AM »

True, have you been able to fix all Videopacs you ever came across as being bad?

Let's see: I've fixed two G7400's, a G7401, a 7200 and two Odyssey3's, so: yes.
There seem to be usually no problems with non-plus consoles without a built-in screen. (G7000 etc.) (Besides bad joysticks.)

Wow!  Thats very cool.  What was wrong with the Odyssey 3's?  I would be very upset if ended up with a broken O3 lol.  Until I sent it to you of course to be fixed!  The joysticks have given me problems, but that is one thing I seem to know how to fix. :-)
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 01:06:09 AM »

What was wrong with the Odyssey 3's?

One had a bad keyboard chip.
The other one wasn't working at all most of the time, but sometimes it suddenly did work. This one has a lot of soldered wires underneath the PCB, and it turned out that a few of them weren't making contact most of the time.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 01:09:54 AM »

What was wrong with the Odyssey 3's?

One had a bad keyboard chip.
The other one wasn't working at all most of the time, but sometimes it suddenly did work. This one has a lot of soldered wires underneath the PCB, and it turned out that a few of them weren't making contact most of the time.

I suppose with them being protos they are more prone to problems.  Thats good that you were able to diagnose and fix the problems!
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 06:55:30 PM »

Heres an update.  The folks I bought the O2 from agreed to give me a refund on my credit card.  They said I could keep the system because it isn't worth the shipping, I thought that was rather kind.

I suppose having a "parts" O2 couldn't hurt, and maybe if shipping to Europe ever gets a tad cheaper I could send it your way Rene for repairs?

Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 02:51:27 PM »

I suppose having a "parts" O2 couldn't hurt, and maybe if shipping to Europe ever gets a tad cheaper I could send it your way Rene for repairs?

Sure.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 05:05:16 PM »

Sure.

Sounds good, thanks.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »

I was bored today and deciced to open up the broken O2 today.  I tested it and it still doesn't work right.  (no surprise.)

I cleaned the surface of the motherboard with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips (is this bad?) and after letting it dry off I tested it with no improved results.  I would love to check out the bottom side of the motherboard but this older O2 has that damn metal shield all around it and I need to de-solder it to take a good look.  I am going to have to pick up a soldering iron to get it off to see if anything is wrong.

Has anyone else had any luck giving a broken O2 a good cleaning to get it working again?
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 11:20:14 PM »

Ohno Sweersa, your not 21 yet and you are playing with alcohol!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Don't think rubbing alcohol is bad for the circuit as long as you let it dry.
Maybe if your lucky it a loose contact that needs to be soldered again.

8 bits of fun
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 11:31:20 PM »

Ohno Sweersa, your not 21 yet and you are playing with alcohol!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Don't think rubbing alcohol is bad for the circuit as long as you let it dry.
Maybe if your lucky it a loose contact that needs to be soldered again.

lol  I hope so, as soon as I get an soldering iron I can take the shield off and take a better look at the underside of the motherboard.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:35:06 AM by Sweersa » Logged
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 11:03:16 AM »

Its a shame its so hard to get another Ody over there. I have about 10 G7000's in the cellar because they all came with collections that had games in them I wanted. It feels a little as a throw away product now  Wink

Good luck with the soldering!!!

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »

Its a shame its so hard to get another Ody over there. I have about 10 G7000's in the cellar because they all came with collections that had games in them I wanted. It feels a little as a throw away product now  Wink

Good luck with the soldering!!!

Thanks!  I guess if the O2 is really broken their isn't much bad I can do to it lol

Yeah, I guess on ebay it wouldn't be so bad to get another O2 but to find one locally is pretty rare.  Even the carts. 
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 07:00:32 PM »

Yeah, I guess on ebay it wouldn't be so bad to get another O2 but to find one locally is pretty rare.  Even the carts. 

Yeah well, overhere in the Netherlands, everything is local hahaha, at least compared to the U.S.

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 04:05:17 AM »

Yeah well, overhere in the Netherlands, everything is local hahaha, at least compared to the U.S.

I never really thought about that lol.  Man..that would be nice.  We have to travel a lot sometimes to events and such. lol
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: