Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
January 23, 2020, 11:32:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Odyssey 3000  (Read 6013 times)
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« on: September 12, 2007, 01:55:51 AM »

My brother just picked up an Odyssey 3000 at a flea market for 15 USD.  We know it works because we can hear the sounds that come out of it after we switch it on.

But how do you connect this thing to a TV?  I took the RF cord and hooked it up to my RF to coax adapter, plugged it into the TV set, and set the channel to 3, 4, and input mode, and had no luck. 

What are we doing wrong?

Thanks.
Sweersz
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 02:55:26 AM »

Here are some pictures of it.  Cheesy

1977 Magnavox Odyssey 3000

Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 10:45:14 PM »

They're covering the whole alphabet from Sweersa to Sweersz!

This may or may not be something that would be different outside of the US, but I was always able to plug my Odyssey x00/x0000 consoles into the same RF box as the Odyssey2.

Your mileage may, however, vary.  I seem to recall them using the exact same plug though.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 03:09:25 AM »

They're covering the whole alphabet from Sweersa to Sweersz!

This may or may not be something that would be different outside of the US, but I was always able to plug my Odyssey x00/x0000 consoles into the same RF box as the Odyssey2.

Your mileage may, however, vary.  I seem to recall them using the exact same plug though.

lol. That was my brother Zach.  Its funny our first names start with A and Z. So it needs an RF box?  I thought it had one inside of the unit like the O2, or am I just misunderstanding you?  Sorry if thats the case.   

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:11:14 AM by Sweersa » Logged
Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 06:54:40 AM »

Yep, it'll need an RF box - the same one that your O2 uses.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 10:33:34 PM »

Yep, it'll need an RF box - the same one that your O2 uses.

Okay, thanks.  Would Radio Shack have an RF box that would work with the system?
Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 02:53:42 AM »

Errrrrr...probably not.  The O2 - for most of its life - and the Odyssey x00/x000 consoles all used that tan RF box with the peculiar (for the U.S.) European-style plug.  So it's fairly unique.   Undecided
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 03:55:27 AM »

Errrrrr...probably not.  The O2 - for most of its life - and the Odyssey x00/x000 consoles all used that tan RF box with the peculiar (for the U.S.) European-style plug.  So it's fairly unique.   Undecided

Oh, I thought you were talking about the RF modulator, not the RF switch box.  We have a newer TV, so we used an RF to Coaxal adapter to hook it up to the Coaxal plug. (Like what many do for the Odyssey 2)  This part serves the same purpose as the RF switch box.  The problem I have is, I can't get any display up when the unit is connected properly and powered up.

This is why I wonder what channel to have the TV set on to have the unit work.  The Odyssey 3000 is missing its instructions, and all other original documentation so we have no idea what channel it works with.

Maybe Rene could help.       
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 10:30:53 AM »

Since I live in Europe and not in the U.S. , I don't have experience with U.S. RF connections. All pong consoles I know work on channel 2, 3 or 4.
martyg
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 08:03:11 AM »

The thing to keep in mind - these early systems (specifically the Pong era ones) were designed in an era of analog tuning. 
The channel output is not always exact.  Not sure how old you are, but back then what we used to have on our televisions were actual switch dials to change the channel with, and each had analog adjustment dials around the base of them to rotate and "fine tune" the channel in with.  In the picture below, you have the VHF (channel 2 through 13) and UHF (channel 14 on up) channel dials on the right side of the tv one above the other.  The actual circles you see around those switches rotated sperately and were the fine tuners: 

So that could be the issue.  Also, as Phosphor wrote, for most of its brand name life the Odyssey systems used a special oversized r/f cable tip and need the Magnavox r/f adaptor.  They won't work with regular r/f to coaxal adapter you're talking about.  You can do some hacking and change the tip so it will if you're used to modding though.

Marty
classicgaming.gamespy.com

Atari Gaming Headquarters
www.atarihq.com

Electronic Entertainment Museum
gamingmuseum.gamespy.com

Midwest Gaming Classic
www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 04:16:43 AM »

The thing to keep in mind - these early systems (specifically the Pong era ones) were designed in an era of analog tuning. 
The channel output is not always exact.  Not sure how old you are, but back then what we used to have on our televisions were actual switch dials to change the channel with, and each had analog adjustment dials around the base of them to rotate and "fine tune" the channel in with.  In the picture below, you have the VHF (channel 2 through 13) and UHF (channel 14 on up) channel dials on the right side of the tv one above the other.  The actual circles you see around those switches rotated sperately and were the fine tuners: 

Thanks for the reply, I don't want to ruin the device's originality in any way, but it may come to modding it if I can't find one of those special Magnavox RF switches. 

So that could be the issue.  Also, as Phosphor wrote, for most of its brand name life the Odyssey systems used a special oversized r/f cable tip and need the Magnavox r/f adaptor.  They won't work with regular r/f to coaxal adapter you're talking about.  You can do some hacking and change the tip so it will if you're used to modding though.

Marty
classicgaming.gamespy.com

Atari Gaming Headquarters
www.atarihq.com

Electronic Entertainment Museum
gamingmuseum.gamespy.com

Midwest Gaming Classic
www.midwestgamingclassic.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: