Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
March 21, 2019, 01:27:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Math-a-Magic!/Math?maticien/Mathematician/Matem?gica!  (Read 8260 times)
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« on: September 02, 2008, 06:53:10 AM »

In honor of the new school year starting here in the USA; the game of the month is Math-a-Magic!/Math?maticien/Mathematician/Matem?gica!

How many had parents buy this game?  Did any of you want this game as a kid? 
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »

Hahaha great choice!

My parents never bought the system for me and to be honoust, I have never played the game in my life. Will give it a try thoughe.

I wonder what the highscores will be like  Smiley

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 12:56:25 AM »

Well, what can we say about it...  Smiley Smiley+ Smiley Smiley= Cheesy Cheesy
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 04:13:29 PM »

One of the positive's about this "game" was the actual use of the keyboard.  A common knock against the Odyssey2/Videopac.  I know this is a bit off topic but I have often wondered if a text game would be possible on the Odyssey2/Videopac.  Something similar to the early version of Oregon Trails.  I'm not sure if you folks on the other side of the pond are as familiar with Oregon Trails as the U.S. folks but it was a very popular computer game in the 80's.  It has evolved over time and I think new versions are still being created.  Many schools used it to help kids learn how to use computers and it teaches a little about U.S. History.  Essentially it was a very primative RPG that was based on text commands.  Since the Odyssey2/videopac is short on memory it might not be possible.  I'm not sure how Math-a-magic! works but it appears to require some memory.  Perhaps the more technically gifted amoung us can add some input?  Thanks!
grgh

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 05:28:54 PM »

We do have at least one text game that springs straight to mind, and its on videopac 1! Cryptogram.

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 04:31:52 AM »

We do have at least one text game that springs straight to mind, and its on videopac 1! Cryptogram.

Not exactly what I had in mind but it is a "text" game.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 04:33:44 AM »

Not exactly what I had in mind but it is a "text" game.

Did Magnavox/Philips every have any real good plans for the keyboard or was that (dare I say) always sort of an advertising gimmick to make it look more like a home computer?
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 02:10:59 PM »

Even for selecting a difficulty level, I like a keyboard more than using switches like on other consoles.
For example the master strategy games make use of the keyboard, and of course games like Buzzword and Type & Tell. I think in Europe we have more games which use the keyboard, like Musician, Chess, Basic etc.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 02:16:50 PM »

I know this is a bit off topic but I have often wondered if a text game would be possible on the Odyssey2/Videopac. Since the Odyssey2/videopac is short on memory it might not be possible.  I'm not sure how Math-a-magic! works but it appears to require some memory.  Perhaps the more technically gifted amoung us can add some input?

Is the number of characters on screen important? The maximum number of characters I've been able to put on screen at the same time is 140.

Storing a lot of text on the cartridge ROM might be a problem, since text generally requires a lot of space.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 11:15:41 PM »

[quote author=Sweersa link=topic=734.msg5563#msg5563

Did Magnavox/Philips every have any real good plans for the keyboard or was that (dare I say) always sort of an advertising gimmick to make it look more like a home computer?
[/quote]

The keyboard is best used in Commando Noturno, despite the bugs a cool game.
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 12:52:57 AM »

[quote author=Sweersa link=topic=734.msg5563#msg5563

The keyboard is best used in Commando Noturno, despite the bugs a cool game.
[/quote]

Cool, is that a home brew game?
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 01:09:01 AM »

[OFF]It?s only was released here in Brazil, but a proto was discoverd in Europe. It?s a kind of a fligth simulator where your mission is to find a target and destroy it. The keyboard is needed to check fuel, distance to base, distance to target, change weapons...

Adding more info:
http://odyssey2.classicgaming.gamespy.com/db/game.php?gameid=238
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 01:21:53 AM by Rafael » Logged
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 09:51:26 PM »

My Odyssey2 is going to be out of order for a few weeks while I clean out the basement.  I hope to have it set back up by the end of the month.  I thought about moving it to another TV but I just don't have enough room anywhere else.

Here is what I remember about Math-a-magic!  My parents bought it because they thought it would help me in math.  My adding, subtracting, multiplication and division skills are excellent so it must have worked  Wink.  Too bad it couldn't teach me algebra!  That was my WORST subject.  For a short time my parents set up rules, for every hour of KC Munchkin/Pick Axe Pete/etc I had to put in an hour of "educational" games.  I'm pretty sure I fibbed a few times when my mom wasn't paying attention because my Math-a-magic!/Echo! cartridge is in the best shape of all my original cartridges.
Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 10:32:18 PM »

I'm pretty sure I fibbed a few times when my mom wasn't paying attention because my Math-a-magic!/Echo! cartridge is in the best shape of all my original cartridges.

Cheesy A FEW times? hahaha

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 03:31:44 AM »

[OFF]It?s only was released here in Brazil, but a proto was discoverd in Europe. It?s a kind of a fligth simulator where your mission is to find a target and destroy it. The keyboard is needed to check fuel, distance to base, distance to target, change weapons...

Adding more info:
http://odyssey2.classicgaming.gamespy.com/db/game.php?gameid=238

That looks pretty cool, thanks.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: