Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 08, 2019, 04:11:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My RobotCity  (Read 5898 times)
Janzl
Administrator
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:20:02 AM »

A while ago I mentioned that I made my own cover for RobotCity. As Andy was going to release it under his RetroGenesis label I decided to make my own version in Videopac style because thats the way I preferred to have it. Because I did not want to give Andy the feeling to be stepping on his feed I kept it to myself. But now Andy is retiring I thought I might share it with you.

This is the cover of the manual:

The desing for the box-inlay :

I also designed the lable for the cartridge.

I used the code ''RC'' instead of a game number to avoid having two different games with the same number. It is a suggestion I mentioned earlier for releasing homebrews in Videopac style. Because I am ''working'' on my own game Cow-Fever when it gets finished (if it does) I defenately want to release it in Videopac style so I am going to use the code "CF" instead of a number as it is not a genuine game/prototype from the 80's.

I am going to make some pictures of the finished box soon and show it to you here.

This is a project I did for myself as I am not going to release it, I simply dont have the time for it. But I thought I could share it with you now.

Let me know what you think Smiley

Ps, Dieter if you want to release RobotCity and like my design let me know. I am not a hard man to bargain with Wink
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:27:31 AM by Janzl » Logged

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:48:13 AM »

Looks good!! I would be very happy to use it for the release! Smiley

Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:21:34 PM »

Looks good!! I would be very happy to use it for the release! Smiley

Send you a PM. Smiley

Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »

Al tough i like the art work, and looks, it just feels to new to me. The graphics are just to crisp in my opinion. Love the layout, but some more 80's style graphics would fit better.
Keep up the good work anyway.

8 bits of fun
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 05:19:07 PM »

Like I said I do intend to release this.

I have 12"
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 06:32:04 PM »

Janzl, did you draw that ?? wow ... if I ever get my game ready, can I call you for making a cover ?  Wink

sex, lies, and videopac
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »

Janzl, did you draw that ?? wow ... if I ever get my game ready, can I call you for making a cover ?  Wink

Yes I ''drew'' it. In fact I modelled the robots and buildings in a 3d software package. The renderings I imported into photoshop. In PS I gave the 3d rendering a more ''drawn'' look. The far background and title were made in Photoshop.

And yes, you may call me for making a cover, but do it on time as i'm very busy and this RC design has taken me quite some time to make. But I do love making them Smiley

Thanks for the compliment Mano Smiley

Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 07:20:01 PM »

Al tough i like the art work, and looks, it just feels to new to me. The graphics are just to crisp in my opinion. Love the layout, but some more 80's style graphics would fit better.
Keep up the good work anyway.

Thanks for the compliments Seob and I understand your ''to new'' feelings. I already brought my 3d rendering of the Robots back to a "cartoon" look by breaking colorgradients into just a couple of shades and adding black cartoonlines surrounding certain elements of the image. The endresult made me very happy and if you see a printed version inside a videopac-box the result is even better. Ah well, I intended to make it just for me Smiley so I am a happy customer Smiley. But still, as I liked the end result so much I wanted to share it.
My intention was to make a bit of a mix between the "Cat and Mouse" and "Turtles" gamecover styles. I think I succeeded.

manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 07:47:31 PM »

And yes, you may call me for making a cover, but do it on time as i'm very busy and this RC design has taken me quite some time to make. But I do love making them Smiley

don't worry, will take some time to finish anyway ... but will send you a prototype + backgroundstory as soon as I am in a stage were it is playable ... don't expect it in the next 2 weeks, though :-)

and I just love the look ... in my opinion its not necessary to go for an "older" look, it fits perfectly the later videopacs !

sex, lies, and videopac
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 07:49:44 PM »

Thanks Mano Smiley Don't haste yourself, all in good time Smiley

Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 07:50:53 PM »

It?s look really great! The robots are your own creation? I asking you because maybe we?ll need a new personage for a upcoming game and I work much more in creation concepts than final art.
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 08:42:34 PM »

Ha mano,
more new games for the odyssey2. Great news.

8 bits of fun
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 11:31:15 PM »

It?s look really great! The robots are your own creation? I asking you because maybe we?ll need a new personage for a upcoming game and I work much more in creation concepts than final art.

Yes, the robots are my own creation, I am especially happy with the simple ones with the big guns Smiley The main robot (the golden one) was a bit of a challenge because the sprite in the game is kinda awkward. It looks like it moves by two propellors, I designed it with two at first but decided that one prop looks better. The manual designers back in the eighties also took lots of liberties so decided to do so as well Smiley

Let me know if you need any help with your up & comming game Smiley.

Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 12:41:42 AM »

Congrats again, very nice robots. I usually don?t like to much the Videopac sytle, but your cover is outstading. What I was thinking to new game is some like Turtles or this new 2600 homebrew:
http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=2775
But later we can talk about.
Janzl
Administrator

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 12:55:30 AM »

thats fine Raphael, just let me know what the game is about, you can send me by pivate message if you want. Secret is safe with me Smiley

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: