Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
July 07, 2020, 07:37:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Poll
Question: Which peripheral would you most like for the Videopac7000/Odyssey2?
Trackball
Mouse
Printer
High score save device
Pause game device

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Add on's  (Read 28391 times)
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« on: September 26, 2008, 07:07:41 PM »

Some of these devices may not be possible but let's dream for a minute.  Which would you have appreciated the most.  Of the items I believe only the trackball was ever produced and that was on such a small scale only 1 or 2 collectors worldwide have one.  That is why I have included it.  Vote now to see the results.
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »

Maybe a good thing is a module with voice and plus graphics and the same module you can pause and save games.
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »

On atariage there's some one who has a pause device for the colecovision http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132024.

8 bits of fun
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 07:25:16 PM »

On atariage there's some one who has a pause device for the colecovision http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132024.

Thats where I got the idea  Wink.  In practice it would be easier on the colecovision because it had an expansion port.  I don't believe the designers of the Videopac/Odyssey2 had any expansion ports in mind when they first developed it.  The Voice came out later and oversea's had chess and a couple others that plug into the regular cart port.
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:10:56 PM »

I think that this device we think of would be more like an action replay cart for the consoles. Like those that u plug in between   the console and the game.

8 bits of fun
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 02:43:26 AM »

I think if when the voice module was released if it also include a possibility to upgarde the graphics with plus backgrounds, maybe the Odyssey survived for more time.
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 10:12:23 AM »

I think if when the voice module was released if it also include a possibility to upgarde the graphics with plus backgrounds, maybe the Odyssey survived for more time.

From my limited understanding of the Odyssey2's hardware architecture it wouldn't have been possible. The voice is not really an expansion of the system but merely a device which is powered and triggered by the Odyssey and then outputs sounds on its own speaker. It wouldn't even have been possible to get something back to the odyssey to output on the TV-System. That said a device could have been made that works the same way as the voice: sitting in the cartridge port and having a TV-output. This would then only be able to play games specifically designed for it and accessing the hardware inside the expansion cartridge. A protocol to communicate all the graphics to that cartridge would have had to be implemented, without using the original VDC, which would have been to heavy on processor costs. I don't really see a way how you could have made that happen ... anyone else got an idea ?

The same thing is true for a few of the other devices:

- Printer: should be possible just the same way as the voice

- Mouse, Trackball: would work the same way, and as a trackball exists, it should be possible ... I would really like to see the schematics of the existing trackball, as I discussed with Dieter some time ago about trying to convert A2600 paddles and support them in a new game ...

- Pause-Cartridge: not possible for the same reason as the graphics expansion - no way to influence the original hardware.

- High-Score-Cartridge: this would be possible in principle, as it works (again) just like the voice - a cartridge with a slot for other cartridges. A cart like this has to be supported by the games of course (support for existing games wouldn't be possible without patching those). As the homebrew scene on the Odyssey2 is rather small, I guess it would be cheaper to just include the possibility it on new cartridges than having it as an expansion cartridge, which would make the design rather more complex ...

what I REALLY would like to see is a cartridge that can take an SD-cart and has a select menu on screen to select games from the SD cart ... and features a USB connector to upload games from the PC to the SD-cart/the memory used for the cartridge without having to take it out and loading it from the PC. A thing like that exists for a few systems already (e.g. SD2SIO for Atari 8bit) and would be intresting for a wider audience:
- homebrew developers for easy access through USB
- players for having a "Multi-cart" that can hold all games that can ever be written for the Odyssey2 and can easily be updated

don't know about you, but I would pay good money for that ...
(a few additional things: that thing should have the possibility to act either as a cart that does not interfere with the Voice (having the 1 addressline just switched through if I remember the function of the voice correctly) or use all the addresslines making games like KTAA playable. To make it even better it could also replace the functions of the voice ... which would not really be necessary but a nice feature :-) )

sex, lies, and videopac
Seob
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »

Don't think that a device that could upgrade graphics would have improved the live of the videopac.
Sega tryed it with there 32x and it didn't work.

A sd cart would be a really great add-on.

8 bits of fun
dronspa
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 04:41:43 PM »

Thinking on the age that Videopac was made, the best add on for the players would be for saving our high scores.

Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 05:45:38 PM »

I would really like to see the schematics of the existing trackball, as I discussed with Dieter some time ago about trying to convert A2600 paddles and support them in a new game ...

I don't know anything about the hardware inside the existing trackball for the Odyssey2, but since it works with existing games and it is connected to the regular joystick port, the only thing it could do is for example: as long as you roll the ball to the left, it makes the line for LEFT on the joystick port active (low), which would be the same as keeping the joystick pressed to the left. The same for RIGHT, UP and DOWN. When moving the ball diagonally, it should make two lines active at the same time.

The Atari paddles contain variable resistors, just like the old Pong games. Pong games can convert the resistor value directly to a specific location of the player/cursor on screen.
When you use the joystick port of the Videopac/Odyssey2 as a data-input port, it is possible to design a device with an analog controller which sends the X and Y position as 8-bit data to the joystick ports. Of course this requires a lot of electronics and would only work with a game which is specifically written for it.
ccc---
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 09:14:14 AM »

I voted for the trackball. Or even paddles. That would be great. Put the technical problems aside and imagine for example Terrahawks played with a trackball or paddles! Or a Kaboom clone on the Videopac ...

Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 01:44:53 AM »

Here?s seems to be an explanation how to insert pause in a VCS, I don?t know if can be applied to Ody.
(seems I forgot the link):
http://picasaweb.google.com/british1500/VideogamingIllustratedOctober83#5072572165183084114
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 04:16:06 AM by Rafael » Logged
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 03:49:09 AM »

Would it be possible to connect the detachable joystick with the DB-9 looking serial port into a computer with that same port?  It fits...but I wonder how one could get it to act like a mouse...with the action button as the click.

No right click would be no fun, we will just have to pretend to be on an imac lol sorry Ozyr!
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 10:28:48 AM »

Would it be possible to connect the detachable joystick with the DB-9 looking serial port into a computer with that same port?  It fits...but I wonder how one could get it to act like a mouse...with the action button as the click.

No way! The computer expects a serial data stream, all the O2 joystick has to offer is 5 on/off buttons, which are connected directly to the port.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 10:38:33 AM »

Here?s seems to be an explanation how to insert pause in a VCS, I don?t know if can be applied to Ody.
(seems I forgot the link):
http://picasaweb.google.com/british1500/VideogamingIllustratedOctober83#5072572165183084114

No, apparently some Atari 2600 games already had a pause function programmed in, the only "problem" was that you had to use the switches on the console. The only thing this mod does is build the switches into the controller, so it's easier to reach them.

Even if a pause function on the Odyssey2 would be possible, it would require hardware modifications inside the console. Some kind of plug-in unit for the cartridge-port or joystick-port would not be possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: