Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 09, 2019, 02:49:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VP.org: Where to begin?  (Read 1397 times)
Rene_G7400
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« on: September 17, 2007, 06:20:43 PM »

Where to begin?     
Huh?Huh???______________

Rick02

Post Where to begin?    

If someone wanted to learn how to program for the videopac/Magnavox Odyssey 2 where would they begin? Lets assume they know nothing about it at this time.

I have always found game programming interesting but never persude it (outside of some very basic programming for the Apple and IBM/DOS while I was in school back in the 1980's).

Tue May 22, 2007 1:02 pm    

Rene_G7400

The best place to begin is Soeren Gust's website: http://soeren.informationstheater.de/g7000/chapter1.html

If you have any questions you can always ask them here at the forum.

Tue May 22, 2007 2:53 pm       

Kurt_Woloch

Rick,

which program language did you work with back in the 80's?

Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm           

Rick02

Quote:
   Rick,

which program language did you work with back in the 80's?

It has been a LONG time but I worked with DOS, BASIC, and I don't even remember what Apple used but I know I did some very rudementary programming based on a book of programs I had. Nothing that compares to programming for the videopac/Magnavox Odyssey 2. It's safe to say that Ted has probably forgotten more about programming than I have EVER learned. That doesn't stop me from wanting to learn. I like the challenge of trying new things, it keeps the mind young.

Tue May 22, 2007 8:27 pm    

Kurt_Woloch

Well, I'd start with something simple. Back when I started programming on the TI-99/4A, I first typed in one program that was listed in the manual, made small changes to it and looked at the results. You could try the same... take a small finished demo (I think Soren Gust has got some of those on his website too), and try to assemble the binary from its source code. After you have done this, you can try making small changes to the demo and see what happens. Then try something simple on your own... maybe only displaying a few characters and sprites. Once that works, try polling one of the joysticks at regular intervals and move your object around accordingly. After that works, maybe try two objects with both joysticks. When that works, try detecting collisions between the objects and do something if they collide, maybe trigger a sound. If that works, maybe try polling the fire button and have one of the objects fire at the other one... or both at each other. If that works, maybe introduce the background grid, try detecting collisions with it, introduce some scoring, whatever... depending on what kind of game you would eventually like to write.
That's how I started on the TI-99/4A back in 1983, by doing small, simple projects like that.

Wed May 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: