Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
December 10, 2018, 12:29:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Quest For The Rings  (Read 8962 times)
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« on: February 02, 2009, 07:07:17 AM »

The Quest For The Rings is the game of the month.  It is the first "Master Strategy" game selected as game of the month.  Grab a friend, or two, and begin the quest!
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 07:16:37 AM »

Don't forget to add any personal stories related to the game.  Did you ever play with a group of people?

I did not have this game as a kid but I always wanted it because the box art looked cool.  I still have never actually played the game so this will be a good excuse to break it out  Smiley.
grgh
I'd sell my mother for a Videopac

Freedom Fighter academy dropout

george.r.g.hayward
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 08:55:49 AM »

None of my friends are geeks, let alone retro-geeks!  Grin

This was the only master strategy I had as a kid. I never played it with mates and only used to just plug it in and run around, without ever really understanding what I was supposed to do, mainly because I thought the dragon/dinosaur looked so cool. I don't think I ever read the manuals back then, so not a lots changed really  Wink

Another good choice Rick, luckily I have a split personality disorder so I can do two player by myself  Roll Eyes

http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.
Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »

I played this game a couple of times with friends. The problem is, if you want to follow the rules, you need to play with two friends of whom one can't play along.

The third guy is the Dungeon Master or something that way and he sets up the board so the other player don't know in which castles the rings are. But for the rest the DM just has to sit and watch. Bit boring for him though.

We just eacht took half of the rings and we both devided them over the castles so each of us only knew for half the castles if it contained a ring or not.

The games were fun to play and some caves were frustratingly difficult. Most of the time it meant one player to be the victim so the other player could reach for the ring.

It is a nice game and the only Master strategy that I really played. Never tried Wall Street. Conquest of the World  I tried but I found some of the controls very awkward and not well responsive.

So as far as the Master Strategy series Quest for the Rings is the king.

I also love the animation of the player being eaten by a spider. As for as the recent requests for more splatter and gore on VP/O2 games, Quest for the Rings comes closest  Evil

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 11:15:49 AM »

I remember playing it as a kid ... a friend of mine had a "bootleg" cartridge with two dip-switches, so you could select it, obviously we didn't have a game board or anything then, so we just played it without that (without even knowing there was more to it)

ah ... good times :-)

sex, lies, and videopac
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:47:23 PM »

I remember playing it as a kid ... a friend of mine had a "bootleg" cartridge with two dip-switches, so you could select it, obviously we didn't have a game board or anything then, so we just played it without that (without even knowing there was more to it)

ah ... good times :-)

Hehehe

Did people make those back then or were they leaked by philips people?
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 12:57:47 PM »

I played this game a couple of times with friends. The problem is, if you want to follow the rules, you need to play with two friends of whom one can't play along.

The third guy is the Dungeon Master or something that way and he sets up the board so the other player don't know in which castles the rings are. But for the rest the DM just has to sit and watch. Bit boring for him though.

If you had read the manual you would have seen that an option is mentioned to play the game with two players only, so you didn't have to invent it yourself.

Btw.: in the 3 player version the third player can temporarily possess one of the other players.
manopac
Game & App Development
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 03:03:48 PM »

Hehehe

philips people ... these things were done by employees of the philips factory here in vienna ... unfortunatly I was never able to find one of those carts in the wild since I started collecting, and my friends source somehow disappeared since 1980 ...

sex, lies, and videopac
dronspa
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 05:02:28 PM »

One of my favourite games!  Shocked

I played it a lot when I was a kid, alone or with my brother and/or my father. We usually played it without the board, but sometimes we did with it (less fun, in my opinion).

In those days I remember my father reading (again) Lord of the Rings, and that's because he bought it. I also remember that it costed a lot of money (more than 150 eur from today!).

The better: the artwork. But also the gameplay is fun. 4 different kind of dungeons, 4 players, with or without monsters (love the spider!), with or without dragon... Between the games I had in my childhood, QFTR is the best.

I also loved the "music" in the dungeons!  Smiley

Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »

Hehehe

philips people ... these things were done by employees of the philips factory here in vienna ... unfortunatly I was never able to find one of those carts in the wild since I started collecting, and my friends source somehow disappeared since 1980 ...

I see, I bet they get more rare as time goes by. 
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 01:08:07 AM »

The better: the artwork. But also the gameplay is fun. 4 different kind of dungeons, 4 players, with or without monsters (love the spider!), with or without dragon... Between the games I had in my childhood, QFTR is the best.

Yes, I think it?s the best all time artwork, a really pretty work.
Probably QFTR was the fisrst game where the player can choose your hero and the place to go. Since I was a Sinbad movie fan in this time and I love monsters and dragons this game was one of reason I choose the Ody.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:10:15 AM by Rafael » Logged
Janzl
Administrator

I now can cross that bloody street...

facebook@janzl.com
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:18:49 AM »

If you had read the manual you would have seen that an option is mentioned to play the game with two players only, so you didn't have to invent it yourself.

Btw.: in the 3 player version the third player can temporarily possess one of the other players.

Well, there is the eternal case of "not reading the manual properly" again Smiley Guilty!  Embarrassed

Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 04:36:05 PM »

Has anyone played yet this month?  We've been trading germs in my household but as soon as everyone is healthy I'm going to play against my brother.
Phosphor Dot Fossils
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 05:57:19 AM »

I just recently played this one a little bit, and was struck by how ahead-of-its-time it was (typical for the O2): something really cool and new, not just a variation on something from the arcades.  One thing that's always struck me though, is how unnecessary the boardgame is.  As a video game, QFTR is great - it doesn't require any more than what's on the cartridge, and I don't think I've ever played it with the board and pieces without it slowing things down considerably.

I admire Magnavox/NAP for trying to think outside the box here, but QFTR was strong enough solely in video game form that it was probably a mistake to attach a boardgame to it.  If it had been just a video game, and thus at a lower price point, I think many would see it as one of the defining titles of the O2 library.  As it is, it's still one of the system's defining titles, but not for the right reasons.
K-C Space Odyssey
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 04:33:16 PM »

I totally agree with you, it is one of the best videopac game i played too.  Smiley
The vampir/tarentula are very amazing. I used to play it alone by the time and it is very difficult, especially in the Nigthmare dongeons. With two players, the best combinaison is warrior/magician, i think. 
I don't think it was as expensive as Dronspa said (150 euro). In those days (81/83), in France , simple videopac cartridges costed something like 15 euros when coleco cartriges were about 45 euros . (i had both ) .  KC Crazy Chase costed  28 euros (because of its exented memory; i have still the ticket from 1983) and QFTR did not reach 45 euros.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: