Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
October 25, 2020, 03:59:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you have some news and you want it to be shown here, pm Janzl!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Voice Module  (Read 10207 times)
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« on: February 24, 2009, 07:40:03 PM »

As I explained in another post I received a Voice Module as part of a system and a few games I purchased.  I'll cut to the chase.  The Voice Module is not working.  Here is the investigating that I have done so far:
I checked it out on the outside and nothing seems out of place, except one screw is missing on the module but I think it just holds the case together.  When I put in a Voice game I here a split second of static (when I turn the power on) and that is it.  I put Turtles! in and it would show the beginning but when I hit the action button to start the game I would only get a blank green screen.  When I took the Voice off the Turtles! game worked fine.  Is this a clue to solve the problem?  I am not a pro at small electronics so any help would be much appreciated!
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:10:18 AM »

Might just be a problem with the connector of the Voice module which plugs into the cartridge slot of the Odyssey2. Or the cartridge connector of the Voice module.
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

Oh Bollocks can I afford that Ebay item?

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:50:24 AM »

Have you tried the old trick of giving it a blow to dislodge any dust? Better still go to the chemist buy 100% alcohol and some cotton buds, simply dip the bud in the alcohol and clean the edge connector, you will not do it any harm. I use the same routine to clean vinyl on my Linn system (which costs a bit of money!!!), and there are no side effects!!

I have 12"
Gorf
Attacked the Timelord

Gorfians take no prisoners!

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 01:24:12 PM »

Have you tried the old trick of giving it a blow to dislodge any dust? Better still go to the chemist buy 100% alcohol and some cotton buds, simply dip the bud in the alcohol and clean the edge connector, you will not do it any harm. I use the same routine to clean vinyl on my Linn system (which costs a bit of money!!!), and there are no side effects!!

You should NEVER blow out your carts with your breath. There are chemicals and moisture
that can and will cause issues. Use a can of air if you want to blow anything out. Also
A q-tip swab is good for the cart but you need an old credit card to broperly clean a cart
slot. DONT USE ALCOHOL!!!!!! It's very corrosive. USe Contact lens cleaner. It does the job
and its not nearly as corrosive.

1 ) get an old cotton T-shirt and stretch it over the credit card

2 ) dip the edge of the card with the shirt wrapped over it in the solution.

3 ) insert gently into cart slot.

4 ) move in and out and very carefully side to side.

5 ) for any key-ed part of the cart slot, cut the credit card to size to fit.

I do this with my Jaguar which is notorious for getting dirty and quick.

ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »

You should NEVER blow out your carts with your breath. There are chemicals and moisture
that can and will cause issues. Use a can of air if you want to blow anything out. Also
A q-tip swab is good for the cart but you need an old credit card to broperly clean a cart
slot. DONT USE ALCOHOL!!!!!! It's very corrosive. USe Contact lens cleaner. It does the job

Really, I have a couple of Science degrees to my name, what chemicals are on your breath whicg can cause damage??? As for using alcohol being corrosive, yes, it is, but its no so corrosive that it's going to cause MASS damage to a cart. I think your being a little over protective.

I have 12"
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:28:17 PM »

I'll try to clean it up this weekend and see if it makes a difference.  I'm afraid something came loose inside since it was not secured when it was shipped.  The former owner says it worked before shipping (haven't we all heard this before?).
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »

Might just be a problem with the connector of the Voice module which plugs into the cartridge slot of the Odyssey2. Or the cartridge connector of the Voice module.
I suppose I have to take it apart to find out?  I would think the cartridge slot on the odyssey2 is ok since it does play the game correctly (when the voice is not connected).  I'll take apart the Voice if cleaning doesn't do the trick.  Has anyone dismantled a Voice Module before?  Any tips I should know?  Thanks!
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 06:59:21 AM »

If I remember correctly, there are like only four screws holding it together. Easy to take apart. Just make sure to pop off the volume control knob first (I think you have to do that - damn memory [mine]).

Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 10:27:27 AM »

To clean the connectors of the Voice you don't have to open it.
If you do want to open it, you don't have to take off the knob of the volume control, but be careful with the sticker which surrounds the hole for the power switch button.
Gorf
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »

Really, I have a couple of Science degrees to my name, what chemicals are on your breath whicg can cause damage??? As for using alcohol being corrosive, yes, it is, but its no so corrosive that it's going to cause MASS damage to a cart. I think your being a little over protective.

It what they teach you in college so maybe the schools are over protective? Not likely.

There are upwards of 3000 different chemicals in your exhale. Ammonia and carbon dioxide are two.
Both not good for metal. Yes the amount in one blow is nothing but over time it will build up. I used
to blow out carts all the time till even that stopped working. A cleaning as I suggested was the only
thing that would fix the problem. It is also the fact that over time the connector pins oxidize.

When you blow on something there is chemicals and there is moisture which coat the contacts and
eventually will build up oxidization which is a form of corrosion.
ANDYRYALS
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 03:36:35 PM »

[/quote]

It what they teach you in college so maybe the schools are over protective? Not likely.

Didn't quite get that last comment  Huh?

There are upwards of 3000 different chemicals in your exhale. Ammonia and carbon dioxide are two.
Both not good for metal. Yes the amount in one blow is nothing but over time it will build up. I used
to blow out carts all the time till even that stopped working. A cleaning as I suggested was the only
thing that would fix the problem. It is also the fact that over time the connector pins oxidize.
How long in a day do you spend "blowing" carts, sounds very suspicious to me Wink
When you blow on something there is chemicals and there is moisture which coat the contacts and
eventually will build up oxidization which is a form of corrosion.
Agree'd but you would have to exhale one hell of a lot of breath before oxidation occured.
[/quote]

In a nutshell blow your cartridges to your hearts content and use pure alcohol it WILL NOT damage the edge connector.

I have 12"
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 08:30:21 PM »

All right children, don't make me take my belt off... play nice or don't play at all.

I haven't had a chance to work on the Voice Module yet.  Still hoping to have time this weekend.
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 08:27:36 AM »

I have a bit of insomnia tonight so I took the Voice Module apart.  I cleaned all of the contacts put it back together and the same thing happened.  So I took it back apart and checked all of the conections to make sure they weren't broken.  All appeared fine.  One wire leading to the speaker has been pinched but that wouldn't cause the game to just stop (when playing Turtles).  I double checked the system by putting my working voice module on and it worked fine.  Then I put the non-working module on and it still wasn't working.  Finally on the third try I took it all apart, double checked everything, spread the wires out to make sure they weren't missing insulation or had a cut in the insulation, cleaned the traces, put it all back together and... No change.   Cry  Physically everything looks fine.  I'm at a loss.  any other ideas?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:19:10 PM by RickO2 » Logged
Sweersa
Give this man a Jopac!

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 12:54:06 PM »

I use alcohol to clean thermal paste off of CPUs and Heat syncs with no ill effects, many people I know in the IT field use this. 
Gorf
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 01:17:39 PM »

In a nutshell blow your cartridges to your hearts content and use pure alcohol it WILL NOT damage the edge connector.

In a nut shell do it right and use q-tips and contact cleaner. Your method of
blowing is improper and does more harm than good.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: