What makes a game a Videopac+ game?

Started by hydr0x, April 21, 2011, 11:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manopac

there are

Jopac (non-plus) = Videopac (non-plus)  (e.g. Legion)
Jopac (plus) = Videopac (plus) (e.g. Catapult+)
Jopac (plus) for some Videopac (non-plus)  (e.g. Demon Attack+)
Jopac only (non-plus) (e.g. Des Chiffres et des lettres)
Jopac only (plus) (e.g. Exojet+)
Jopac only (plus only) (Motocrash+)

alles klar ?  :D
sex, lies, and videopac

hydr0x

Yeah, I know ;) All I was saying is that most Jopacs are local variants and that in general there are plus and non-plus Jopac games. None of these really present a problem, my database design can easily handle that.

ccc---

Quote from: manopac on April 22, 2011, 09:23:29 AM
there's never a "like" button when you need one  :D
How could mankind survive all those ten thousands of years without a Like button? ;:)

manopac

Quote from: ccc--- on April 23, 2011, 09:00:02 AM
How could mankind survive all those ten thousands of years without a Like button? ;:)

How can you still survive without Facebook ??? join the dark side ... you know you want to ... shall I create an account for you before our next meeting ?  then you will experience the power of the like button yourself .... 8)
sex, lies, and videopac

Janzl

Well... I read somewhere that the dinosaurs didn't have one... hmmm... makes you wonder...
Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!

hydr0x

And here I thought the notification e-mail would lead me to new replies about my question... silly me  :P ;)

hydr0x

Any further input before I make a final decision?

Rene_G7400

Well, of course the only thing that makes a Videopac game a '+' game are the instructions in the ROM chip inside the cartridge that make the processor send data to the Plus graphics chip. On the outside of the cartridge this should be visible by the '+' sign on the label.
The complete list of all Videopac/Jopac games with Plus graphics is not very long, so it should not be difficult to make.

hydr0x

Okay, if we strictly go that route, that leaves me with the question how to handle a game like Terrahawks...

As I understand it, all the european variants pictured there contain the enhanced/plus version, despite there not being a + on the UK box. Is this correct? Or does that +-marked UK cartridge actually contain the non-enhanced ROM?

manopac

the rom is the same - actually even the cartridge in the UK Box has the "+" on the lable :-) only the cover is different ...
sex, lies, and videopac

Rene_G7400

Yes, so you should always check the cartridge label, not the box/manual/cover.

hydr0x

Quote from: Rene_G7400 on April 26, 2011, 11:31:28 PM
Yes, so you should always check the cartridge label, not the box/manual/cover.

Okay, I see, thanks. It's a bit contradictory though as games not advertised as plus games are actually plus games. I know this is down to the fact that there was no G7400 in the UK, but still ;)

ccc---

Quote from: Janzl on April 23, 2011, 11:11:30 AM

Well... I read somewhere that the dinosaurs didn't have one... hmmm... makes you wonder...
Right! If Mark Zuckerberg wouldn't have invented the "Like" button, mankind would have suffered the same fate as the dinosaurs within a few million years. I think, the "Like" button is the most important invention in the last 65 million years  ;D

manopac

no need to be sarcastic, mister !!!! or else I show you who all visited your profile  >:D
sex, lies, and videopac

hydr0x

okay then, using your definition above, is this correct?

Not a plus game at all (despite red stripe packaging available):
Backgammon
Blobbers
Munchkin
Space Monster
Super Bee
Turtles

Only available as a plus enhanced game in Europe, but non-plus versions exist in Brazil or US:
Air Battle
Killer Bees
Loony Balloon
Neutron Star
Terrahawks

Only available as a plus enhanced game worldwide:
Nightmare

(note that I'm aware these are not all games or even all plus games, but these are the ones I'm not 100% sure about yet whether they exist as non-plus, plus or both)

thanks again :)