New C7051 multicart: with Windows 8 support or not?

Started by Rene_G7400, September 24, 2014, 03:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rene_G7400


To transfer games to my new C7051 multicart you have to connect it to a computer. In most cases this will be done with an USB to serial adapter cable. Cheap cables are available for Windows 7, Vista and XP, but cables for Windows 8 seem to be more expensive. How many of you would need support for Windows 8? Or in other words: are you prepared to pay 6 Euro (or so) more for a cable that also supports Windows 8? (besides Windows 7, Vista and XP.)

(When you buy a C7051 cartridge, this cable can be bought together with the cart as an option.)

manopac

I'd prefer a Windows 8 cable as I will have to move to Windows 8 at some point ... what's special about the cable that it works for Windows 8 ? is it a different Serial to USB adapter that has Windows 8 compatibility ?
sex, lies, and videopac

ccc---

I don't think that I will ever use Windows 8, I find it horrible. My hopes are that Windows 9 will be more like Windows 7. But probably Windows 9 will again need an other cable ...

Tom Beck

Till now I use XP.  :-[

But I have plans to buy a new laptop next year with Windows 9. I hope (like Dieter) that it will be more like Windows 7 that we use at my work. So I prefer a cable that work with the next windows. 
;)  Killed the Killer Bees  ;)
Now also on youtube: Tom Beck collect...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9y7Vo_qyvr1ByhEhHSOLgw

Rene_G7400

Quote from: manopac on September 24, 2014, 06:01:02 PM
what's special about the cable that it works for Windows 8 ? is it a different Serial to USB adapter that has Windows 8 compatibility ?

Yes, USB to serial adapters with Windows 8 compatibility seem to be rare. If you think you can find a cheaper USB-to-serial adapter you can buy one yourself, as the adapter is optional. (The game transfer cable with DB9 connector is always included.)



manopac

Quote from: Rene_G7400 on September 25, 2014, 09:18:21 AM
Yes, USB to serial adapters with Windows 8 compatibility seem to be rare. If you think you can find a cheaper USB-to-serial adapter you can buy one yourself, as the adapter is optional. (The game transfer cable with DB9 connector is always included.)

It's strange that the manufacturer of the chip used in most Serial2USB adapters apparently decided not to support Win8 (probably to sell more of their newer chipsets ;-) )

I am fine paying the extra 6 EUR to have one that will work on Win8 (and probably Win9) in case I have to switch OS at some point!
sex, lies, and videopac

gertk

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<

Rene_G7400


Sweersa

We use DB9 serial to USB adapters at work for connecting older devices to PCs running Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8 if I recall correctly.

A manufacturer of the adapter may not officially support Windows 8 (the device and manuals could have been printed before Windows 8 was released) but I would imagine it would work as it does in 7.

I could easily test this when I acquire my cart at work, for all those who wonder.  

From what I have seen of Windows 9 so far, it will be a lot more similar to Windows 7 than 8, the start menu is back in the demo I watched, and it partially incorporates metro from Windows 8.

gertk

Quote from: Rene_G7400 on September 26, 2014, 09:26:08 AM
According to the description this cable should work with Windows 8:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370862895479


Do you need RS232 level signals ?
(The adapters I mentioned work with TTL level signals)

BTW the link to the driver loops back to the same ebay page.
>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<

Rafael


Rene_G7400

Quote from: gertk on September 27, 2014, 07:17:01 AM
Do you need RS232 level signals ?
(The adapters I mentioned work with TTL level signals)

TTL levels would be fine, but as the cables are already being made I need the DB9 connector.

Rene_G7400

#12
Quote from: Sweersa on September 27, 2014, 12:31:31 AM
From what I have seen of Windows 9 so far, it will be a lot more similar to Windows 7 than 8, the start menu is back in the demo I watched, and it partially incorporates metro from Windows 8.

From what I've read on other websites it will take almost a year until Windows 9 10 is available.

Rene_G7400

Update: I've finally found and tested an USB-to-serial converter that works with Windows 8 (and older Windows versions). It costs approximately 10 Euro, but for that price you also get three extra LEDs on it, so you can easily check if it works correctly or not. I will order more of them now, and also a few cheaper adapters that work with Windows 7 (and older Windows versions).
50 C7051 carts are ready now. As soon as I've got the USB-to-serial adapters in stock I will start selling the C7051.

Sweersa

Thank you for the update, I'm very excited for this! :)