Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
May 06, 2021, 02:36:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   arcade Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any C compiler available for odyssey ?  (Read 1736 times)
tigrou
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: August 25, 2015, 07:15:32 PM »

I was wondering if there was any C compiler ever created for the odyssey /  Intel 8048 ?

I know it might sounds crazy considering the low end CPU running at 1.79 MHZ and the low amount of RAM and 2K rom limitation.

It would probably be not very efficient but speed is not always needed for some games and it would be a good way to try prototypes.

While most videopac programming is about low level commands writing to some specific places etc, it should not be a problem in C, plus assembler code can be easily injected where needed.

It already exist for game boy : GBDK (although it's more than just a compiler it's a framework). (Yes gameboy is 4 times faster and a lot more ROM/RAM)

Also : i'm surprized there is not sticky "Programming for the videopac tutorial" sticky thread here in programming section. Something that give tips and useful links for anybody who would want to start videopac programming (
gertk
Post Axe Pete!

gertk64
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »

I once asked on the http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/ developer forum if the 8048 could be supported but the very limited amount of internal ram/stackspace makes a C implementation almost impossible.. Never say never but chances are slim...

There is a document called 'Crash Course in G7000 programming' but I do not know if it is available here or can be distributed online.

Some other links: http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=2001.0

« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:44:05 PM by gertk » Logged

>>G7000 G7200(P+S) G7400 N60 JET27 VG5000 ZX80 ZX81 ORIC-1 COMX35 Aquarius<<
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: