News:

The forum will NOT disappear in April 2023 please check this topic!

Main Menu

HAUNTED WOODS

Started by VideopacBelgium, November 19, 2017, 01:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptol

One Videopc for me please

Rafael

Quote from: ccc--- on December 29, 2017, 09:37:21 AM
I like this game. Reminds me a bit of Montezuma's Revenge, which I played a lot on my Atari 130 XE back in the late 1980s.

The fact that the character can't jump differs the game from other platformers.

First score only 684 points, but I will definitely give it more tries!

Yes, I got a little inspired by Montezumas Revenge. I'm glad you enjoyed the game. :)

grips03

#17
Got 620 today.

This game is much better on the G7400.  On O2 is seems a little too fast and the graphics on the G7400 really add to the game.  

The die once pause feature is really nice.  Game will wait for input before continuing.

I wish the timer for the ghosts to reappear reset when you go to a new screen, however that might make the game too easy.

Some thoughts if you make a game like this again.  At first is hard to tell if the level your on continues to the right (or left).  Could the color of the walking surface be green on the sides that do continue to the next screen?  Some games would be good with arrows and jump.  I for one use custom controllers, so if game had jump (up) and arrows (action button) I would make a controller to use that control scheme.  I understand why the levels are the way they are, and jump certainly would not work for the level design on this game, its just a thought for down the road.  I know many Commodore 64 games use up for jump.  Another idea is to use both controller ports.  This way you have 5 more switches to play with.  It would require custom controllers, but that might not be a big deal, sort of like how Robotron works on Atari 7800.

I use a 4-way gated joystick for this game.  Works much better that way.  

Any reason why Forbidden Lands uses one joystick port and HW uses the other?  When I switch between these games I need to always move the joystick cable.  I understand if there is a good reason, if there is no good reason why not use the same joystick port for all the new games?

Going to try to get higher score now.


grips03

Does HW not use the Voice adapter? 

New High Score, 796.  Got hit around 10 times.

grips03

848 new high score.  5 arrows :)

Rafael

Quote from: grips03 on February 25, 2018, 09:56:30 PM
Some thoughts if you make a game like this again.  At first is hard to tell if the level your on continues to the right (or left).  Could the color of the walking surface be green on the sides that do continue to the next screen?  Some games would be good with arrows and jump.  I for one use custom controllers, so if game had jump (up) and arrows (action button)
When I made the game the main idea was for the player to take control of his stock of arrows. He wanted the arrows to be important so that the player would not despise them and return to catch them. To make the player jump would make the arrows not so essential.



Quote from: grips03 on February 25, 2018, 09:56:30 PM
 Another idea is to use both controller ports.  This way you have 5 more switches to play with.  It would require custom controllers, but that might not be a big deal, sort of like how Robotron works on Atari 7800.

I used both controls on Mars Menace, so I don´t wanted to use it again.
BTW. Leonardo made a great tray to carry the two controls!



Quote from: grips03 on February 25, 2018, 09:56:30 PM

Any reason why Forbidden Lands uses one joystick port and HW uses the other?  When I switch between these games I need to always move the joystick cable.  I understand if there is a good reason, if there is no good reason why not use the same joystick port for all the new games?


Yeah, I remember that. When I was programming I was testing on O2em, but every time I had to change the control in the emulator, I decided to change it in the game. In a way this can be a good deal. In the 80's the Odyssey games were made this way, so if one of the controls broke, you could play half the library.

Rafael

#21
Quote from: grips03 on February 26, 2018, 02:22:22 AM
848 new high score.  5 arrows :)

Great!

BTW: Here´s another add made by Leonardo.

grips03

Thanks for the reply.  Are you planning on making any games in 2018?

For new players I would add HW and BB here:
http://videopac.fr/

I think that is how I saw FL originally.

Rafael

Quote from: grips03 on February 27, 2018, 02:44:34 PM
Thanks for the reply.  Are you planning on making any games in 2018?

I'm in a moment when my heart says go and my body says stop!

I think my heart will win (for now) ;)

Janzl

Quote from: Rafael on February 28, 2018, 01:43:47 AM
Quote from: grips03 on February 27, 2018, 02:44:34 PM
Thanks for the reply.  Are you planning on making any games in 2018?

I'm in a moment when my heart says go and my body says stop!

I think my heart will win (for now) ;)


Even though I really like your contributions to our favorit little system, I urge you to listen to your body. It isn't saying "stop" for nothing. Take it seriously pal!
Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!

Tom Beck

Quote from: Rafael on February 28, 2018, 01:43:47 AM
I'm in a moment when my heart says go and my body says stop!

When I read something like this, it angers me, that english it not my first language.

So please Rafael, hear to your body, read what Janzl wrote. We had enough games to play for now.

And when you feel better, you could start to work on one game. I know, what you do. You work on one game and when there is a problem you go to another one to work at. And then to the next one. And finally, you work on so many games at the same time, that it is really work and no more fun.

So please, take a break and play games instead of making them. I know, that you really love what you do.
But love could also be dangerous.  :-*

;)  Killed the Killer Bees  ;)
Now also on youtube: Tom Beck collect...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9y7Vo_qyvr1ByhEhHSOLgw

grips03

#26
Yes, take a break if not doing well.  My 2017 was really bad and I took a break for a year and it helped.

What Tom wrote happens to me, but with hardware projects.  I can tell you I junked a ton of them over the winter.  Perhaps a bit wasteful, but getting healthy in 2018 can only help myself, family and job. 

Now I'm about to get one homebrew project done, which never would have happened if I didn't take that first step.

Rafael

Many thanks by your words.
You´re all rigth :-* :-*

grips03


grips03