News:

NEW GAME: Jack and the Beanstalk ! Check this topic!

Main Menu

Japanese videopac

Started by grgh, November 21, 2007, 08:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweersa

Quote from: mjb on July 08, 2008, 10:04:21 PM
Quote from: Sweersa on July 08, 2008, 08:10:48 PM
I know this is off topic but I see someone here said "taking the piss."

I live in America and I am not sure what that means. 

It means trying to annoy or upset someone,  trying to wind someone up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_piss

Thanks!

grgh

POLITICS ON
Think Geneva Convention and then look at Guantanamo Bay.
Or think 'illegal combatants' and then have private security firms say their staff were soldiers.
POLITICS OFF

That kinda thing :)
http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.

Sweersa

Quote from: grgh on July 09, 2008, 09:53:27 AM
POLITICS ON
Think Geneva Convention and then look at Guantanamo Bay.
Or think 'illegal combatants' and then have private security firms say their staff were soldiers.
POLITICS OFF

That kinda thing :)

Hahaha :)

Wow thats a very effective example!

Seob

Look at this site for more japanse odyssey2 pictures. Also pictures for the japan vectrex, atari, intellivision.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/04/akihabara-2/

8 bits of fun

O2William

Seob, those are great pictures!  Thanks for finding those.

I just wanted to add, when I was researching the Odyssey2 Timeline I found some info on the O2/Videopac in Japan.

The Odyssey2 was announced in Tokyo, Japan, on 30 September 1982, by the president of North American Philips Consumer Electronics Corp., Frank Lann.  Note that it was North American Philips that made the announcement, not Philips Europe, which probably explains why the Japanese games are based on U.S. packaging. 

American collectors sometimes report finding Japanese games in California, in areas that have many Japanese immigrants.  There's a possibility that North American Philips sold these games to the Japanese-American market too, and not just to Japan.  But this is just speculation.

The original Philips announcement says that the games were supposed to be distributed in Japan by Kawada Co. and Tsukuda Co.  However, other sources indicate that something called Kooton Trading Taitari Enterprises (which I have seen spelled "Kooton", "Kotoon", "Koton", and "Corton") began importing the Odyssey2 to Japan in September 1982.  By May 1983 they had slashed the price by 40%.  It did not sell well.

Kooton planned to import The Voice module too, but I don't know if this ever happened.

I may be traveling to Japan next year.  Who knows, maybe I can find some Japanese games!

Seob

I think the games where announced by nap and designed taken from nap, because japan and america use the same power voltage and both use ntsc as display output. So it is easier to use a us console, then to adapt a european console, because power voltage in europe would range from 220 - 240v and because of the pal (most of europe) and secam (france) display output.
8 bits of fun

ANDYRYALS

This is really excellent! Well done guys.
I have 12"

goldenband

Hey, everybody. Occasional lurker, first-time poster, though some of you may know me from Atariage.  I've been playing a lot of O^2 lately, and was reading this thread with interest when I saw some of the pictures...

...and realized that it was a very good thing that I hadn't removed the Japanese spine sticker from the Hockey/Soccer I bought at that flea market in New York.  :)

See attached for pictures.  Has this one been seen before?  It's not listed in any of the guides I checked, including the ones at Digitpress and the-nextlevel.com, nor on the Japanese Rarity Guide thread.

Unfortunately it doesn't include a Japanese manual, so I don't know whether one was originally provided.  Like I said, I'd always assumed that some Japanese guy added the sticker at home for his own reference, and had nearly removed it!

Rene_G7400

ANDYRYALS

so far that game in unique, you have an extremely extremely rare game, think of it like pepsi invaders of the 2600 by 10 times rarer!
I have 12"

ccc---

Quote from: ANDYRYALS on October 20, 2010, 10:00:56 PM
so far that game in unique, you have an extremely extremely rare game, think of it like pepsi invaders of the 2600 by 10 times rarer!

In fact he has an extremely extremely rare sticker ;)

goldenband

Thanks for the replies and info, guys.  All this is a fun surprise, as I've never had anything R10/HG before.

The only question I have now is, what on earth do I do with it?  I'm not really a collector -- I have around 15 O^2 games, plus the 233-in-1 multicart and 2 out of the 3 boardgames (still need Conquest of the World).  The multicart really suffices for most of my needs, though I do wish I could play Chess on the O^2 hardware.  Ah, well.

Quote from: ccc--- on October 20, 2010, 11:09:35 PM
Quote from: ANDYRYALS on October 20, 2010, 10:00:56 PM

In fact he has an extremely extremely rare sticker ;)
LOL :)

BTW have any of the Japanese carts been dumped?  I assume they've all been 100% identical to the NTSC ROMs already around.

grgh

With 15 Odyssey2 games you're already 1/3 of the way to a complete set, might as well keep going  ;D
http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.

ANDYRYALS

Many thanks for the update regarding Soccer / Hockey. Your update has been added to the Japanese rarity guide. This has been the 1st update in 9 months, that just goes to show how rare these Japanese games are!
I have 12"

goldenband

Quote from: ANDYRYALS on October 22, 2010, 09:52:06 AM
Many thanks for the update regarding Soccer / Hockey. Your update has been added to the Japanese rarity guide. This has been the 1st update in 9 months, that just goes to show how rare these Japanese games are!

Wonderful!  I'm very glad to "fill a gap" and to make some small contribution to the community, since the O^2 has been a lot of fun for my girlfriend and me.

It helps to ease the pain from all those crushing defeats at Smithereens/Stone Sling. ;)  She's quite good at that one, but I get my revenge in Mr. Roboto and Blockout/Breakdown.