Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 28, 2021, 02:43:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pitfall! for the Odyssey2 was created by David Crane!  (Read 507 times)
scottith
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: March 11, 2021, 06:23:57 AM »

Back when Crane was doing his Kickstarter for his Jungle Adventure game, he agreed to a Q&A on Reddit, and someone asked him why he never supported the O2, and he replied that he actually coded Pitfall for it!

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/yli88/iam_david_crane_creator_of_pitfall_and_cofounder/

As we all know, it never came out, but perhaps he still has a copy of it?  He's now part of a new company called Audacity Games, where he just programmed a new Atari VCS game:

http://audacitygames.com/

The email he's using for that site is marketing@audacitygames.com so I suggest asking him about it Smiley
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 10:58:47 PM »

Interesting. But why not to publish it? Very strange IMO Huh? Huh? Huh?
More, I readed in an old VideoGames Magazine that Activision had no interest to make
games for the Odyssey. Maybe hes just confuse, Intellivision, maybe?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 11:03:55 PM by Rafael » Logged
scottith
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 01:49:53 AM »

Activision released some games for the Intellivision.  They also released games for the Colecovision and 5200.  Wikipedia claims there were 2 million O2 consoles, less than 2 million Colecovision consoles, and 1 million 5200 consoles.   It's just strange.  Imagic released two O2 games (Defender and Atlantis), but they were supporting every platform at the time.  Even Parker Brothers, who were conservative as anybody, developed a half-dozen O2 games.  The only reason I can think of why Activision didn't want to support the O2 was that they felt they couldn't translate more of their top games to it, so to them, to spend the investment (designing boards and cartridge shells, etc) for only 1 game wasn't worth it to them, but I can't see how they would have lost money.  They might not have sold a million copies of it, but considering how 'starved' O2 owners were for good games back then, I don't see how they couldn't have sold enough copies to make a profit from it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: