Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
August 03, 2021, 01:11:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join Rafael's Haunted Woods contest and win a copy of the game!

Home   Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Videopac newbie introduction  (Read 367 times)
Level42
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« on: May 19, 2021, 11:09:25 AM »

Hi,

I just registered for this forum because I picked up a G7000 last week.

I am mostly an Atari fan (I own too many Atari machines to list, but my favorite platform is the 8 bit homecomputer line) but I played Videopac back in the 80's at my cousin's. I've grown up playing games in arcades since 1977 or so...and for about 14 years I have been collecting and restoring arcade videogames from the late 70's/early 80's era. However, I sold all my machines about 5 years ago....

Mostly I pitied my cousin for having a Videopac because I had an Atari VCS and in general we agreed that it was the better system of the two. (His father chose for it because of the keyboard which would give "so much more serious use"......yeah right Smiley ) HOWEVER, we loved "Happelaar" (K.C. Munchkin) and agreed it was a much better game than the VCS Pac Man conversion. My cousin also owned "Freedom Fighters" and although we thought it was an OK game I got the idea of a way to improve it: Let's turn the TV (and of course the joysticks) sideways and agree to move "up" ALL the time and then shoot and collect....So we turned his old big black&white TV sideways and went along and it was indeed a lot more fun that way....really arcade like with an "upright" screen Smiley

Anyway, could get my hands on a G7000 for a good price recently including 5 games, amongst them some good ones (K.C. Munchkin, Pick Axe Pete and Killer Bees, the last two I have never played) and I thought it would be fun, if even just for Munchkin.

I've got a number of mainly hardware questions but I'll post them in the correct section.

Jim

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 02:27:49 PM »

My cousin also owned "Freedom Fighters" and although we thought it was an OK game I got the idea of a way to improve it: Let's turn the TV (and of course the joysticks) sideways and agree to move "up" ALL the time and then shoot and collect....So we turned his old big black&white TV sideways and went along and it was indeed a lot more fun that way....really arcade like with an "upright" screen Smiley

Ha, what a neat idea.  I'll have to find a small TV and give that a try.

Welcome to the forums.
Level42

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 12:00:56 AM »

Thank you !
Elias
Attacked the Timelord

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 06:59:43 AM »

Anyway, could get my hands on a G7000 for a good price recently including 5 games, amongst them some good ones (K.C. Munchkin, Pick Axe Pete and Killer Bees, the last two I have never played) and I thought it would be fun, if even just for Munchkin.

I've got a number of mainly hardware questions but I'll post them in the correct section.

Welcome to this forum. Nice story  Smiley
Rafael
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 04:58:46 PM »

Hi,

I just registered for this forum because I picked up a G7000 last week.

I am mostly an Atari fan (I own too many Atari machines to list, but my favorite platform is the 8 bit homecomputer line) but I played Videopac back in the 80's at my cousin's. I've grown up playing games in arcades since 1977 or so...and for about 14 years I have been collecting and restoring arcade videogames from the late 70's/early 80's era. However, I sold all my machines about 5 years ago....

Mostly I pitied my cousin for having a Videopac because I had an Atari VCS and in general we agreed that it was the better system of the two. (His father chose for it because of the keyboard which would give "so much more serious use"......yeah right Smiley ) HOWEVER, we loved "Happelaar" (K.C. Munchkin) and agreed it was a much better game than the VCS Pac Man conversion. My cousin also owned "Freedom Fighters" and although we thought it was an OK game I got the idea of a way to improve it: Let's turn the TV (and of course the joysticks) sideways and agree to move "up" ALL the time and then shoot and collect....So we turned his old big black&white TV sideways and went along and it was indeed a lot more fun that way....really arcade like with an "upright" screen Smiley

Gret story.
I used to dim the TV on the gunfigther until the gray man disappeared.
There he fought an invisible opponent. Good old times. Wink
Jim

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 02:55:06 AM »

I used to dim the TV on the gunfigther until the gray man disappeared.
There he fought an invisible opponent. Good old times. Wink
Another great idea.  I bet that really increased the difficulty.
VideopacBelgium
Totally devoted to Videopac

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 08:12:37 PM »

Welcome here !

Videopac digger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: