Videopac / Odyssey2 forum
September 27, 2021, 09:13:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Al lot of attachments from Nov 2011 till april 2012 are damaged. Please ask the original poster to re-upload if you need them.

Home   Help Login Register links videopac.nl  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UFO!/#34- SATELLITE ATTACK /OVNI!/SATELLITE ATTACK +/SATELLIT +  (Read 12250 times)
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

The excitement of a game. The mind of a computer.

« on: April 01, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »

Who knew it had so many different names but the April 2008 Game of the Month is: UFO!/#34- SATELLITE ATTACK /OVNI!/SATELLITE ATTACK +/SATELLIT +.

It has been a few month's since we have had a space game so I figured we were due.  To save space I am going to refer to the game as UFO!  When I was growing up this was one of my favorite games.  It was one of the few games that I could spend a great deal of time on without lossing my one life.  The key to the game is shooting or running into asteroids, when your shield is at full power, to gain points.  The game gets progressively harder and after about 30 seconds an enemy (called a "laser shooting satellite" or a "light-speed star ship" depending on the version you are playing) tries to destroy you by firing at you.  Luckily his gun can only fire at a certain angle, knowing how to avoid it can payoff in the end.  Asteroids that collide turn into "magnetic asteroids"/"hunter-killer UFO's"  that are attracted to your ship.

One of the great things about this game is the chain reactions that can occur.  Hitting one ufo/asteroid can result in a chain reaction that blows others up.  Just be careful not to be part of the chain reaction.  If you get to close and your shield is down you can blow up.

I spent hundreds to thousands of hours playing UFO! as a kid.  It was one of my first games.  I have not really played it since I started collecting for the Odyssey 2 so I'm sure I'll be rusty.  Plug in your carts and lets blow stuff up!!!
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »

Early High score= 251

I don't remember my high score from the 80's but I'm sure it was in the thousands so I have a ways to go....
Rene_G7400
Pedit5
I take the Videopac and leave the Canoli!

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 08:47:22 PM »

When I play this game, I never use the laser cannon. Aiming at the targets is not easy with it, it's easier to bump into them.

Sometimes when you start this game and don't touch the joystick, the score goes into the hundreds (more than 200) by itself.
Recycled
Trying to get the cartridge in...

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »

I've only witnessed it climbing to 100 without touching it.

Love this game.
Ozyr
Totally devoted to Videopac

Packrat Video Games

david.flemming.9
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 02:06:46 AM »

Moving and aiming is the one odd thing about this game - and the fact that I have no problem with it at all. I'm a tad rusty (have not played it in a while), but I could pretty much turn and shot at anything very quickly. Not sure why I was/am so good at aiming, but I am. I especially love shooting at the UFO just right and have its laser shots backfire back at itself. Just a cool game overall - especially if you love things exploding!  Evil

Katakis

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »

For me the game with the best background graphic in the +version. Wink

But for playing I prefer the "normal" 34, I hate the invisible asteroids in the +version Angry
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 11:12:38 PM »

Yes, I agree with you, this background is perfect. Maybe Ren? can correct the problem with the gray enemies??
Interesting fact, this UFO background is the same of the U.S. Freedom Figthers.
Katakis

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »

Solving the problem with the "gray?s" would be really excellent. It seems that this was a big one for the Philips software designer in the past. This bug you also can find in the +version of "Cosmic conflict" 11+ and I think "Freedom fighter" 39+ too, but I?m not 100% sure with 39.
Using the 34+ background in the US Freedom fighter is something I ofter read before but never saw. May I ask for a screenshot?
Recycled

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 06:14:48 PM »

Got 472 with not firing.  Thought it would make it easier.  Tried it again last night...couldn't get beyond 100.  It's amazing how hard this game can be.

I never had a problem with firing.  So I'm doing a combination of shoot and crash now.
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »

Using the 34+ background in the US Freedom fighter is something I ofter read before but never saw. May I ask for a screenshot?

In the William?s Odyssey website had a video about the O3 release, it shows  Fredom Figthers (with UFO background) , but it disappeared? I not sure if I have this video on my PC, but I?m searching.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »

Solving the problem with the "gray?s" would be really excellent. It seems that this was a big one for the Philips software designer in the past. This bug you also can find in the +version of "Cosmic conflict" 11+

I've fixed this bug for Cosmic Conflict+, you can find it in the .zip file on my homepage. (In this game the dark-blue enemies were invisible.)

For Satellite Attack I've fixed it by modifying my G7400 console.
The only other option would be to change the program so it will never create gray enemies.

These are the technical details:
to make the Plus graphics background visible, one or more of the 8 colors of the normal graphics have to be made transparent. In most of the Plus games, at least one color could be made transparent without problems, but in some games all of the 8 colors were being used for the normal graphics. Gray is considered to be the same color as black, because the only difference is the brightness bit. So since the black background of the original game is replaced by the Plus graphics background, the gray characters disappear also.
Rene_G7400
Pedit5

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 06:56:13 PM »

The combination might be special, but the game is exactly the same as the normal version, and the background is exactly the same as 34+.

(So you could create this game yourself by taking the first 4k of 34+ and the last 4k of 39+ and putting them together.  Grin )
Rafael
Pedit5

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »

The combination might be special, but the game is exactly the same as the normal version, and the background is exactly the same as 34+.

(So you could create this game yourself by taking the first 4k of 34+ and the last 4k of 39+ and putting them together.  Grin )

Ok, so now you can fell the taste of US Freedom Figthers.
http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/heatseekerbr/FFUS.BIN
And the vice-versa
http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/heatseekerbr/ol.BIN

The next will be Freedom Pigeon  Cheesy

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 07:46:58 PM by Rafael » Logged
RickO2
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008, 10:31:48 PM »

UFO! improvements I would like to see:
  • Elimiate blowing up when shield is showing but apparently low
  • Add Music/noise that plays 2 seconds prior to enemy ship entering the screen
  • Eliminate grey asteroids, they are hard to see
  • Allow shield to go up even while asteroids are having chain reaction explosions

Blowing up when your shields are showing is just plain frustrating.  Having the music play before the ship enters would allow you to use your guns more without fear of an ambush.  Having grey asteroids isn't the end of the word but they really aren't needed.  Waiting for a chain reaction to end before your shields recharge is dangerous.
dronspa
Post Axe Pete!

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 12:55:04 AM »

Today I connected my G7401 for the first time (after months being unboxed yet), so I've never played a + game before, and this game was very frustrating with that invisible enemies. I've only socred 116 in G7401, but I remember scoring near 800 a couple of months ago with my old G7000.

I really not liked + variations of pre-existing games. Maybe only 20 is a good convertion.
But later games are pretty much funner! Norseman, Helicopter Rescue and TransAmerican Rally doesn't look videopac games, they look really nice!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: