New Odyssey2 / Videopac FAQ

Started by O2William, June 24, 2008, 08:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O2William

I've always wished that the Odyssey2 had a proper FAQ -- one written for relative newcomers to the system, and done in question-and-answer format.  Robert Kaiser's original O2/O3 FAQ was very good for its time, but it hasn't been updated in several years and is showing its age.  So I finally took it upon myself to write a new one:

http://odyssey2.classicgaming.gamespy.com/faq/essentials/index.php

With this FAQ, I tried to answer all the essential questions that somebody who doesn't know a lot about the O2 might have.  Plus, I tried to keep the questions and answers "timeless" so that it doesn't matter if it's not updated very often.

I haven't announced this anywhere else yet... this is where the O2 and Videopac experts are so I wanted to give you first crack at it.  See anything I got wrong?  Questions I should have included but left out?  Sources I should have cited? Please let me know. Thanks!

manopac

55+ and 58+ are enhanced games, not G7400 only ...
Clay Pigeon+ didn't receive Nr. 56+, it was 62+ (if I remember correctly ... not at home at my collection :-) )

Western+ was most probably never released, it reads in your FAQ as if it was ...

"Kinder Im Verkehr 1" was released in Brazil ?? sure about that ?

am just reading all the FAQ, great work :-)
sex, lies, and videopac

Rene_G7400

Quote from: manopac on June 24, 2008, 09:03:31 AM
Clay Pigeon+ didn't receive Nr. 56+, it was 62+ (if I remember correctly ... not at home at my collection :-) )

Philips planned to release Clay Pigeon+ as number 56, but dropped it and released Norseman instead.

The release of Clay Pigeon+ by Nico Sapin got number 62.

manopac

I know ...  read it in the FAQ :-)

"Documentation found with the prototype revealed that the game was slated to receive Videopac number 56+, which was ultimately given to Norseman. A fan-produced reproduction Clay Pigeon+ cartridge was eventually created for collectors, and given the number 56+." [FAQ]
sex, lies, and videopac

manopac

Quote from: manopac on June 24, 2008, 09:03:31 AM
"Kinder Im Verkehr 1" was released in Brazil ?? sure about that ?

and a few more:

Des Chiffres et des Lettres, Exojet+, Kinder Im Verkehr 1, Le Tr?sor Englouti+

none of these were released in Brazil afaik ...
sex, lies, and videopac

manopac

"Why do some Odyssey? games come in combination French/English packaging?"

if you take this question in, you should also write about the French only Philips packaging ...

"The first volume of the traffic games was also sold as Videopac "V," and given the title Kinder im Verkehr 1 (Kids in Traffic 1). The manual claims that Videopac V was the first of a series of new learning games aimed at kids 6 to 14 years old. From this, one might surmise that "Kinder im Verkehr 2" was planned for release, but no copies have been found. In all forms, the traffic games are quite rare, with Videopac V being a bit less difficult to find than the Verkehrsspiele games."

Videopac V wasn't sold but given as a (christmas-)gift to the members of the German Videopac club "Commander Rom"

"One other prototype worth mentioning is a pre-production version of K.C. Munckin!. The graphics in this prototype version look much more like Pac-Man than those in the released cartridge. This makes the inspiration behind this controversial game all the more obvious."

hm ... can it be that this comes from the cart sold on ebay were someone compared a screenshot of his advance K.C.Munchkin with K.C.s Crazy Chase ? other than that I only know of a hacked version with pac-man like graphics, but not of a pre-production cart ...

sex, lies, and videopac

Rene_G7400

Quote from: manopac on June 24, 2008, 09:29:27 AM
Des Chiffres et des Lettres, Exojet+, Kinder Im Verkehr 1, Le Tr?sor Englouti+

none of these were released in Brazil afaik ...

No, except for Kinder im Verkehr 1 (Germany) these are Jopac games (France).

manopac

yes, but that distinction isn't made in the FAQ right now ... only Europe and Brazil ...
sex, lies, and videopac

Rene_G7400

Quote from: manopac on June 24, 2008, 09:30:32 AM
"One other prototype worth mentioning is a pre-production version of K.C. Munckin!. The graphics in this prototype version look much more like Pac-Man than those in the released cartridge. This makes the inspiration behind this controversial game all the more obvious."

hm ... can it be that this comes from the cart sold on ebay were someone compared a screenshot of his advance K.C.Munchkin with K.C.s Crazy Chase ? other than that I only know of a hacked version with pac-man like graphics, but not of a pre-production cart ...

I've seen screenshots of the first version of K.C. Munchkin on Williams website before, so it does exist and does look more like Pacman.

manopac

sex, lies, and videopac

Janzl

I have been looking through the FAQ and except for the things already mentioned by Manopac & Ren? I couldn't find any faults.

I'm very impressed by the FAQ! Very adequate and complete! Lots and lots of info. Compliments!
Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!

ccc---

An absolutely brilliant work William!

"Are there any modern "homebrew" games available for the Odyssey??"

"Another type of homebrewed Odyssey? product is reproduction games. These are fan-produced cartridge runs of unreleased prototypes, usually with fan-produced labels and instruction manuals, and sometimes even boxes! The first such reproduction was Interpol, released in limited quantities by Nico Sapin in 2000. Later reproductions include Clay Pigeon+, Pinball, Shark Hunter, Miss?o Imposs?vel/Viagem Programada, Spider-Man and Tutankham. Future reproductions are sure to appear."

You might want to add Flash Point here.

grgh

I think you should have a "Who are GST?" section, they are mentioned in the main body but I know it is a question I had. I can sent you info I collected later if you need any.
http://www.videopac.com/ reborn Dec-07, forever an ongoing project.

grgh

34. Videopac.com - Route 66

You link to a domain name I dont know if I'll keep, even if it will get you where you want to go at the moment  ;)

grgh

Homebrew authors have also added enhanced backgrounds to G7000 games that did not originally receive the "Plus" treatment. The first newly-enhanced game was 2007's Munchkin+, by Martijn Wenting/Revival Studios.

Not sure about this, Rene have you done some already? or are we specifically saying something that then went through a release process?