Packrat Video Games... what's going on?

Started by ptol, January 05, 2009, 02:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweersa

Quote from: ANDYRYALS on January 06, 2009, 11:18:00 AM
Quite a while ago (several years), Packrat went thru a bad phas of taking MONTHS to reply to emails and sending parcels out. I can now say that Packrat are very very good and I will also vouch for them, I think that your money and order are pretty safe.

Thanks, I will go for it then. 

Quote from: ptol on January 06, 2009, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: Sweersa on January 05, 2009, 10:23:27 PM
Quote from: ptol on January 05, 2009, 05:24:57 PM
I ordered KTAA, Planet Lander and Puzzle Piece Panic. Can't wait to play them  :)

Nice! I hope to order these games shortly as well.  I think I will also get Rene's Pong! 

I have Ren?'s Pong on the 128-in-1 Multicart, is there a difference with the normal cartridge?

I believe the version on packrat is newer and has more of something, but only Rene would know for sure.

Rene_G7400

Quote from: Sweersa on January 06, 2009, 12:56:13 PM
Nice! I hope to order these games shortly as well.  I think I will also get Rene's Pong! 

I have Ren?'s Pong on the 128-in-1 Multicart, is there a difference with the normal cartridge?

I believe the version on packrat is newer and has more of something, but only Rene would know for sure.

The version on the multicart is very old and simple, the cartridge version has a lot more options. (11 variations)

ptol

Quote from: Rene_G7400 on January 06, 2009, 03:05:34 PM

The version on the multicart is very old and simple, the cartridge version has a lot more options. (11 variations)

Damn, I should have ordered it then. But now I'll wait for the other games to arrive first.

What are the variations, I'm very curious? :p

Sweersa

Very cool, I'll have to be sure to add that on the list.

ptol

Packrat just replied. Games were send today!  ;)

Rene_G7400

Quote from: ptol on January 06, 2009, 07:30:54 PM
Damn, I should have ordered it then. But now I'll wait for the other games to arrive first.

What are the variations, I'm very curious? :p

Phosphor Dot Fossils has a short review: http://www.thelogbook.com/phosphor/2004/pong-o2/

Packrat his some info as well: http://www.packratvg.com/pong.html

ptol

Received my games today. Man, they are awesome. Never could have dreamed that the Videopac was capable of this. And Puzzle Piece Panic really is a masterpiece. This game is really outstanding. How the hell did Ted do the trick with polyphonic sound? At first I thought i was playing a Commodore 64 ;-)

Sweersa

Quote from: ptol on January 14, 2009, 07:45:45 PM
Received my games today. Man, they are awesome. Never could have dreamed that the Videopac was capable of this. And Puzzle Piece Panic really is a masterpiece. This game is really outstanding. How the hell did Ted do the trick with polyphonic sound? At first I thought i was playing a Commodore 64 ;-)

Cool, do you need the voice to get the polyphonic sound?

ptol

Quote from: Sweersa on January 14, 2009, 10:32:22 PM
Quote from: ptol on January 14, 2009, 07:45:45 PM

Cool, do you need the voice to get the polyphonic sound?

No Voice module needed.

Janzl

Quote from: ptol on January 14, 2009, 07:45:45 PMHow the hell did Ted do the trick with polyphonic sound? At first I thought i was playing a Commodore 64 ;-)

Yep, it also reminded me of C64 music when I heard it, those tunes are really amazing. Unfortanely it is not possible during gameplay. As I understand, Ted needed most of the cpu's power and use a lot of timing tricks to achieve his music results.

I also think that the music is not really polyphonic. I think no notes are played at exact the same time but so close after eachother that for the ear it sounds polyphonic. A friend of mine also did this when programming C64 music. The C64 has three voices but he used the same trick to make it sound as if there were five or six voices. You may know some of his tunes like Outrun Europe and Cybernoid II.

Maybe Ted can confirm that this is the way he achieved it.

I consider Ted's work a milestone and whould have never thought that our good 'ol VP/O2 was capable of doing this.
Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!

ptol

I wish I was able to program Videopac games. I have tried to understand the tutorials, but it goes way beyond my knowledge. I really have the deepest respect for Rene, Ted, S?ren and John (are there more homebrew programmers?).

Janzl

Well, Rafael, Manopac and Gorf are the ones I can think of right now But I am sure I am forgetting one or two  :-[
Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!

ptol

Quote from: Janzl on January 15, 2009, 11:07:08 AM
Well, Rafael, Manopac and Gorf are the ones I can think of right now But I am sure I am forgetting one or two  :-[

Okay, did'nt know that. Which Videopac games are programmed by them and are those available on cartridge?

manopac

Rafael: Route 66
Gorf: don't know
manopac: none finished so far :-) (but I promise: this year my first game will see a release ...)
sex, lies, and videopac

TedFoolery

It is true polyphonic sound. Two notes are played at the same time.

Basically, I turn the volume on and off really fast which creates a sound wave. It just so happens to be the sound wave of two notes at once.

It turns out that this isn't a new trick. Other old 8-bit machines have used it too.