News:

NEW GAME and special BOOK (and more!) to come from Côté Gamers! ! Check this topic!

Main Menu

Packrat Video Games... what's going on?

Started by ptol, January 05, 2009, 02:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ptol

Quote from: TedFoolery on January 15, 2009, 03:41:36 PM
It is true polyphonic sound. Two notes are played at the same time.

Basically, I turn the volume on and off really fast which creates a sound wave. It just so happens to be the sound wave of two notes at once.

It turns out that this isn't a new trick. Other old 8-bit machines have used it too.

Yeah, but you are THE FIRST to do it on this console... why couldn't they do it back in the 80's?  ;)

Sweersa

Basically, I turn the volume on and off really fast which creates a sound wave. It just so happens to be the sound wave of two notes at once.

It turns out that this isn't a new trick. Other old 8-bit machines have used it too.

That is amazing.  I didn't know the O2 had that capabilities.

Quote from: ptol on January 15, 2009, 09:10:29 AM
Quote from: Sweersa on January 14, 2009, 10:32:22 PM
Quote from: ptol on January 14, 2009, 07:45:45 PM
Received my games today. Man, they are awesome. Never could have dreamed that the Videopac was capable of this. And Puzzle Piece Panic really is a masterpiece. This game is really outstanding. How the hell did Ted do the trick with polyphonic sound? At first I thought i was playing a Commodore 64 ;-)

Cool, do you need the voice to get the polyphonic sound?

No Voice module needed.

Awesome!

Rene_G7400

Turning the volume on and off fast to create music has been done before for several released Videopac games, but never to create polyphonic sounds.

Janzl

Wow! That's really really cool. Didn't know that was possible!
Ne tirez pas sur le administrator!

manopac

Quote from: Rene_G7400 on January 15, 2009, 05:43:14 PM
Turning the volume on and off fast to create music has been done before for several released Videopac games, but never to create polyphonic sounds.

mind telling us which ones ? :-)
sex, lies, and videopac

Rene_G7400

Quote from: manopac on January 17, 2009, 12:30:48 AM
Quote from: Rene_G7400 on January 15, 2009, 05:43:14 PM

mind telling us which ones ? :-)

Sure:

Videopac 31 Musician
Videopac 58 Air Battle
Videopac 59 Helicopter Rescue
Videopac 60 Trans American Rally
Frogger
Popeye

ccc---

Quote from: manopac on January 15, 2009, 03:14:58 PM
manopac: none finished so far :-) (but I promise: this year my first game will see a release ...)
Yes, you guys have to come to EuroCon in Vienna in autumn  ;D

Rene_G7400

Quote from: ccc--- on January 18, 2009, 08:13:41 PM
Yes, you guys have to come to EuroCon in Vienna in autumn  ;D

Is there already an exact date for EuroCon 2009?

ccc---

Not yet Rene. It is pretty sure that the convention will be in October. At the moment we are still checking the place (Linz or Vienna), then we will fix the date. We want to have fixed place and date until end of February.